A man in New England underwent multiple amputations after eating a leftover lo mein noodle meal. He’s also suffering from multiple organ failure as a result of eating the lo mein noodle meal.
The New England Journal of Medicine documented the 19-year-old man’s case in March 2021.
According to findings in the NEJM report, the man was fine until about 20 hours after eating a rice, chicken, and lo mein meal leftover from a restaurant. He also developed abdominal pain, nausea, and started vomiting.
“Multiple episodes of emesis occurred, with vomitus that was either bilious or red-brown. The abdominal pain and vomiting were followed by the development of chills, generalized weakness, progressively worsening diffuse myalgias chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, neck stiffness, and blurry vision,” stated the report.
The man was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was treated for shock, organ failure, skin mottling, and a “rapidly progressive reticular rash” at Massachusetts General Hospital.
According to the NEJM researchers, the man’s friend who ate the same leftovers threw up once but did not get as sick.
WebMD states that food should be immediately refrigerated to prevent the growth of bacteria that can cause food poisoning, and that food does not need to be cooled before being refrigerated.