Health Benefits Of Taking Probiotics, And What Foods Contain Them
Probiotics are live microorganisms that are intended to have health benefits when consumed or applied to the body. They can be found in yogurt and other fermented foods, dietary supplements, and beauty products.
Bacteria and other microorganisms have often been thought of as harmful germs, but many of them are super helpful. Some bacteria can help you digest food, destroy disease causing cells, or produce vitamins.
Probiotics provide all sorts of powerful benefits for your body and brain. They may reduce depression and promote heart health (2, 3, 4). Some evidence suggests they may even give you healthier looking skin (5).
Probiotics have shown promise for a variety of health purposes, including prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea (including diarrhea caused by Clostridium difficile), prevention of necrotizing enterocolitis and sepsis in premature infants, treatment of infant colic, treatment of periodontal disease, and induction or maintenance of remission in ulcerative colitis.
Here is a list of 9 probiotic foods that are super rich in probiotics.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is one of the best sources of probiotics, which are friendly bacteria that can improve your health.
- Kefir: Keifr is a fermented probiotic milk drink, made by adding kefir grains to cow’s or goat milk. Kefir grains are not cereal grains , they are cultures of lactic acid bacteria and yeast that look a bit like cauliflower.
- Sauerkraut: Sauerkraut is finely shredded cabbage that has been fermented by lactic acid bacteria.
- Tempeh:Tempeh is a fermented soybean product. It forms a firm patty whose flavor is described as nutty, earthy or similar to a mushroom.
- Kimchi: Kimchi contains the lactic acid bacteria Lactobacillus kimchii, as well as other lactic acid bacteria that may benefit digestive health.
- Miso: Miso is a good source of protein and fiber. It is also high in various vitamins, minerals, and plant compounds, including vitamin K, manganese and copper. One study reported that frequent miso soup consumption was associated with a lower risk of breast cancer in middle-aged Japanese women (27). Another study found that women who ate a lot of miso soup had a reduced risk of stroke (28).
- Kombucha:Kombucha is a fermented black or green tea drink. This popular tea is fermented by a friendly colony of bacteria and yeast.
- Pickles: Pickles – know as gherkins, are cucumbers that have been pickled in a solution of salt and water. They are a great source of healthy probiotic bacteria which may improve digestive health.
- Natto: Natto is another fermented soybean product, like tempeh and miso. It contains a bacterial strain called Bacillus subtillis. Studies suggest that natto may help prevent osteoporosis in women (33, 34).
Here are a few great benefits that probiotics has to offer:
Can Help Prevent Diarrhea
Probiotics are widely known for their ability to prevent diarrhea or reduce its severity.
Probiotics reduced the risk of travelers diarrhea by 8%. They also lowered the risk of diarrhea from other causes by 57% in children and 26%
in adults (12).
Probiotic Supplements Improve Some Mental Health Conditions
Only a study of 70 chemical workers for 6 weeks. Those who consumed 100 grams of probiotic yogurt per day or took daily probiotic capsule experienced benefits for general health, depression, anxiety and stress (16).
Can Help Keep Your Heart Healthy
Probiotics may help keep your heart healthy by lowering LDL (Bad) cholesterol and blood pressure by breaking sown bile, probiotics can prevent it from being reabsorbed in the gut, where it can enter the blood as cholesterol (19).
May Help You Lose Weight And Belly Fat
Probiotics may help with weight loss through a number of different mechanisms (40). Some probiotics prevent the absorption of dietary fat in intestine. Probiotics may also help you feel fuller for longer, burn more calories and store less fat.
Hopefully you learned some exciting benefits that probiotics has to offer. Please feel free to share your experience in the comments below! Stay safe and God bless.