Powerful Health Benefits Of Onions
Onions are in the allium family, along with garlic. Allium is defined as “I Smell,” and of course we all know onions have a potent smell and can make you a little teary-eyed. Onions contain high levels of vitamin C, folate, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, and calcium. They are also high in antioxidant quercetin. Quercetin in onion has been studied to prevent heart disease, and keep blood flowing freely daily throughout the body. Quercetin has been shown to protect against many different types of cancer in the body, cataracts and boost the immune response.
Things You May Not Know About Onions
- Yellow onions generally have more quercetin than red or white onions.
- Onions are high in sulfuric compounds that have been know to kill salmonella and E. coli. Sulfuric compounds also help prevent cancer and heart disease.
- Onions also help prevent osteoporosis and builds both bone and mineral density.
- Chewing on a raw onion will relieve a toothache, kill germs and help prevent tooth and gum disorders.
- Onions lower blood sugar levels and improve insulin levels.
- Onions help break up mucus and congestion in the chest and reduce spasmodic coughs.